Sunday, August 20, 2006

After a lengthy sojourn along the North Carolina beaches, I return to the mundane and slightly depressing search for a job. Sigh. Wait, what's that? There in the sky?! It's a bird. It's a plane!

No, it's Super Hillary! Representing truth, justice, and the partisan American political way!

And wait, gentle reader, with baited breath, for the real story is yet to be broken. Are you sitting down? Are you sure? Don't say I didn't warn you...

According to Time Magazine, Hillary Clinton.... is ready to run. That's right folks it looks like she'll be running for the nomination after all. This must come as a surprise to ABSOLUTELY NO ONE. However, it provides me with a useful jumping platform for touching some of the insanity that follows this woman around.

An uncle of mine once asked my extended (and extensive and conservative) family, "what, exactly, is so wrong with Hillary Clinton? What has she done that draws this vitriol from the right? Aside from having the last name of Clinton?" Now, I don't want to name names, so we'll just call him "Jerry".

Jerry is a brilliantly successful guy who has the misfortune of being a liberal who married into a generally conservative family. When this question was posed (at another beach get away, some years ago), there was a shocked silence. What's wrong with Hillary Clinton? You're asking that, really? Well.... how much time do you have? Surrounded by intelligent, politically active conservatives, I thought I was about to witness a second Cannae. What I actually witnessed was much, much, worse. It was as close to a complete rout as a near shouting match can be.

Absolutely no cogent points were raised during the "discussion" that could explain the pure (and at times, ridiculous) hatred that many conservative voters approach this woman with. Her policies are actually quite moderate, and while I recognize that it can be argued (believe me, it can be argued) that she only votes moderately because she's been running for the White House ever since she left it, at what point do we ignore someone's actions and trust instead what their opponents are saying about them?

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that I don't understand what the fuss is all about. The Time article is a case in point of this mindless media facination. A facination that both nourishes and requires intense partisan positioning.

She's a politician, she's saying things to get elected. Where's the news item there? She may be ambitious and power hungry. That's a crime? Name me someone in Washington who isn't. If they're in Washington, it's because they want the power.

So why is this news? She'll run. We get it. We've gotten it for years. As with the effervescent Ms. Couric, I am left to wonder why this is what makes our headlines.

Especially with things like, say, this. Or this. Or maybe.... this.

Ok, maybe not that last one.

No comments: